How to Keep Customers Focused on Your Website
Does your content distract and overtax your readers? Are your messages too long and complex? Can your visitors find the information they need quickly? How do you engage users who are "clicking instead of concentrating"?
Here are a few suggestions to keep happy readers on your site:)
- Keep in mind that less is often more on the Web. Eliminate distracting site features such as flash animation or scrolling text.
- Make copy easy to scan with subheads and bullets.
- Use site navigation to break your information into shorter pages.
- Make hyperlinks more descriptive. Don't tell readers to "Read more"; tell them what they will read if they click.
- Write website content in a conversational, less formal tone.
- Get to the point in the first words. Don't expect readers to read a long introductory paragraph.
- Use adjectives, hyperbole, corporate-speak, and jargon sparingly.
- Consider using video to communicate more complex information.